Monday, July 29, 2013

Fret slot filling

In this stage, I'm taping and filling the fret troughs.


I taped off all of the frets so that the wood filler 
would not embed into the natural grain and 
would only fill the fret troughs. (I'm sure there is 
a proper term for them, but I haven't found it yet.)


With the fingerboard completely taped off, the wood filling
process begins. I have chosen to use Dap's Plastic Wood,
which hardens after application and ready to sand/drill/finish 
in one hour. I was outside during this step and the dry-time
was significantly shorter. Almost causing me to rush. I wouldn't
advise working on a guitar outside, but it was a very nice day 
with low humidity, so it was acceptable for me, my guitar and
the value of this particular guitar. 


In the next three pictures you can see the results of the 
sticky tape residue and there are two notes worth mentioning
here: one, don't use sticky masking tape; get painter's 
tape and two, don't ever try to sand off some form of glue,
such as this, as it will just gum up the sandpaper, but 
instead, use your finger and rub it over the residual glue 
creating friction and you'll be able to easily "erase" it off. 
Be careful though, because you can quickly cause a blister
from the friction heat.



These next three images showcase the post-clean-up 
results. Now, this particular wood filler is made to apply 
in multiple layers (if necessary) and we see here, that it
is necessary for a second application. No worries. I'll 
just do a second application [perhaps] tomorrow.

As far as the finish for this process, after I removed the 
glue residue, I sanded the fingerboard lightly with 
600-grain sandpaper to bring back the smooth surface
once again.




Well, a final application next time and after that, I'll be
moving on to the headstock for necessary restoration.


No comments:

Post a Comment