Monday, July 29, 2013

Fingerboard leveling

Today, I removed the string nut and began leveling the fret board.

As to be expected the fingerboard had tons of wear, warpage and adjustments after nearly 40 years. I'm not sure how noticeable it will be in this first picture, but the fingerboard was so scratched and gouged from years of play with fingernails too long from previous owners.

I had to level the fingerboard in multiple spots in the linear bass line, mid line and treble line. The crosshatched white lines were a guide to show me where the low spots were when sanding and how to address it accordingly. If you're really interested in learning more on this technique, check out the video [playlist] link I posted in the previous journal entry.

[Before]


I really wish you could see how unbelievably clean this restored fingerboard is, but I'm not sure if the picture will do it justice. It's so smooth, clean and level that I'm almost convinced it's better than when it left the factory. lol

[After]



Next step will showcase the process of filling the fret cavities.

No comments:

Post a Comment