Saturday, July 27, 2013

Removing the frets

I learned a lot from watching watching Jason's videos (particularly on refretting in his 22-video [playlist] step-by-step chronicle of the process.) There were other videos on youtube about fret removal techniques, but Jason really had the best approach and the best videos choreography.


As you can see in this picture, especially if you zoom in, 
there are splintered sections of the wood. Instead of sanding
these out, thus creating cavities, I am using a Gorilla Super Glue
to glue them back down. If I were to sand them out, the cavities
would be apparent when the wood filler is added and the end-result
would not be pretty.




Here are some pictures of the professional super glue drying.
It takes about 1:00 minute to dry and 24-hrs to cure. The 
strongest caution I learned during research is to be patient.
Don't rush any steps.

Also, I have not removed the string nut yet and think I 
can work around it when sanding the face of the fingerboard.
If not, I'll deal with it when I get there.



No comments:

Post a Comment