Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Strings

Well, Samurai Fretless is complete ...
for the most part. The Austrian flatwound classical
guitar strings could only be found online and if you have
a stringed instrument, I strongly encourage you to check out
String by Mail ( www.stringsbymail.com ). Their customer
service it is top notch. Prices? Way cheaper than local and
s/h is really cheap. They have strings for just about any
stringed instrument! I will definitely be buying from them again!

 
Being that it's a fretless and rosewood fingerboard,
my resto-mod project required a flatwound string.
After much research and talking to professional
musicians and luthiers, I concluded that the CF128N's
(with a wound 4th string) by Thomastik were
the right choice for me.

I still need to lower the height of the string nut, but
needed for the strings to adjust to the humidity/temp
level of the room for a day or so before I start
stretching, de~/re-stretching them multiple times as
they were cold from the Christmas weather of riding in
delivery trucks. I might work on that tomorrow.



I found that lacing wrapped strings around
the bridge/tie-block is a more tedious than I thought and
thus you can see that the bass E string only has one lace wrap,
but it's not a problem, because it's tight and I don't think
it will need to be adjusted.
 


I opted to not cut off the string slack at the headstock yet,
as I still need to make some additional adjustments. Also,
for the final roll of the strings, I may roll them again
to make them look a bit cleaner.

I would really like to purchase a hand-drill attachment
to wind the strings with just to speed things up.



Well, the guitar is playable even though the action is still
too high. It plays so different from a fretted guitar. I will
be able to adapt, but it will time some time to gain proficiency.
It's a nearly a different instrument altogether.

I'm glad I ventured into this project.
It was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

  1. So cool!! I'll check out that store website for sure, for my next strings. Are there specific or efficient ways of stretching the strings prior to putting them on the instrument, or is that just a small technique that can be overlooked?
    Looks great Shad! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. regarding stretching strings, after stringing up a guitar, i grab a couple of strings at a time (above the sound hole region) and pull up on them with a couple of fingers with medium strength. tune. stretch. tune. then you're usually good to go. results very depending on brand. nylon strings have to be retuned multiple times in the first hour! lol

      Delete